Unexplainable Amenorrehea

by Molly
(Los Angeles, CA)

Hi Amelia,
I am going to abbreviate my story. I am 28 years old and stopped getting my periods naturally at age 18.

Of course, a doctor immediately put me on the pill and for years the problem got brushed under the rug. During those years I went through many other health problems all related to the intestines.

I began seeking alternate routes for healing and have brought my body back to a healthy place. However, my periods never returned. I did have one once, but there hasn't been another one.

I was tested for all the normal reasons women have amenorrhea and nothing came up. I am a fit healthy 28 year old women and I feel helpless. My husband and would like to have children in the next couple of years and we would rather seek natural healing.

Thanks for listening,

Comments for Unexplainable Amenorrehea

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Try Charting Your Temperatures
by: Amelia Hirota

Hi Molly,
So, I'm assuming that you were on the pill for birth control from the time you were 18 years old? If so, in hindsight, I would have recommended a different form of birth control like condoms, which would have also protected you from STDs.

I'm afraid that the amenorrhea at 18 years old was exacerbated by the use of birth control pills. How many years have you been off of the birth control pills?

At your age, I would think that it is possible to start menstruating again. Are you underweight? Have you had an eating disorder? These two reasons can make it challenging to get the body to menstruate naturally again.

I would recommend charting your basal body temperatures to see if you are ovulating. You can refer to my charting articles to learn about how to chart your BBT (basal body temperature.) I had a patient, who had amenorrhea and got pregnant twice and carried to term twice.

If you do have a biphasic chart with your temperature rising at some point, this may indicate that you are ovulating, even if you're not having a period. I've had a number of patients that came off of the pill and weren't getting their period for months. After just a few treatments, their periods returned.

I would strongly recommend that you see an acupuncturist that is board certified in Chinese herbs to work with you to get your period going again. If you don't have an acupuncturist nearby, you may want to work with a Western trained herbalist. There are some wonderful herbs that herbalists like Rosemary Gladstar and Susan Weed recommend for menstrual health.

Sending Baby Dust Your Way,
Amelia Hirota
Licensed and Board Certified Acupuncturist and Herbalist

Same Problem!
by: Anonymous

I was just reading your story...and I have one that is much the same! My periods stopped 6 months after my mom died. I was 17, now I'm 28. Tried chaste tree, clomid, fertility drugs. I'm currently seeing a chiropractor who saw that my heart was weak and I suffered from emotional trauma, and I've been on supplements to strengthen my heart and uterus. Since learning this, I've been doing a lot of research and I'm trying to find a good acupuncturist. 10 years of countless doctors, medications, diagnostic blood workups, you name it!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Trying to Conceive FAQ.